Saturday, September 22, 2007

Innocence is Lost

In this blessed month of Ramadhan we are shocked by the tragic death of adik Nurin Jazlin Jazimin. I never knew her but seeing her pictures around when she was reported missing often reminded me of my little sister. I bet whenever we come across such news, we reflect on those who are dear to us.
Watching the news past few days was tough, often I find myself teary thinking what have happened to our beloved Malaysian society. I understand that there are bound to be bad apples in a society but how can somebody called Malaysian commit such a heinous, disgusting, cruel and animalistic act. I remember the few cases which really hit my nerve; Nursuzaily (raped, murdered while taking a bus ride), adik Nurul Huda (raped, murdered in a security post) and Canny Ong (raped & burned to death). It is just frightening thinking what our society has become.
We just celebrated our 50 years of independence but we still have to live in fear. At least back then we knew who were our enemies but now the so-called enemies are living among us. I do not read law but from laymen point of view, I feel the punishment of 20 years maximum and caning for rapist is so unjustified. Even if they may have not raped until causing the victim to die, in another way the culprit actually have "killed" the victim. Taking away her hope of living a normal life.
My concern goes out to all girls and ladies in Malaysia, we have to look out for ourselves, take precautions and look out for one another. My advise to guys, maybe chivalry have died but humanity is still highly relevant. Reflect upon ourselves next time we choose to ignore someone being attacked by snatch thieves, a kid sitting alone looking lost or simply, an old woman trying to cross the road. Be a true Malaysian and take action. My prayers goes out to adik Nurin and her family...may Allah bless her soul.

No comments: