Thursday, June 14, 2007

Heartbreak Hotel Part 1

This is a story of my stay at The Heartbreak Hotel


My stay at this hotel reached its 58th month on 8 June 2007. It has been a long stay as I am a loyal customer here. Actually, I did check out for 6months at the end of last year because the Hotel Manager asked me to move to the standard room and let go of the penthouse suite I have stayed since the first day I checked in for refurbishment purposes. To make me agreeable, he promised me a better stay in the future with bigger area, plusher pillows, 5stars room service and maybe even a private jacuzzi for myself. Being a tough tenant, I refused, gave an ultimatum to the Hotel Manager; either give me back my penthouse suite or I will check out, regardless of the refurbishment plans.

I even hold a protest against the refurbishment as I liked the hotel as it is. Initially , I checked into the hotel because it was not pretentious, comfortable and original. I can just be myself in the hotel; running around in my pyjamas, screaming my lungs out in the shower even though I know the walls are not soundproofed and even though not everyone gets the concept, I totally dig it. But the Hotel Manager insisted that I move out for a while because he really wanted to change this hotel into something more extravagant like other hotels. Urgh, the boring re branding and repackaging stuffs...saying that the hotel need to keep up with the competitors, international recognition and appeal to bigger market...bla..bla..bla.

Maybe I am so used to the hotel and loved it so much that I do not want it to change. I realized that it was just not a hotel, but it was my hotel and now the Hotel Manager is trying to tell me that the hotel was not that good and a total failure. To show how much I loved that hotel, I was quietly saving some cash to invest in it and maybe negotiate with the Hotel Manager to let me run the hotel with him. So you can imagine how betrayed I felt as a loyal tenant, was asked to stay in a standard room like other non-believing visitors, without prior notice just to make way for the Hotel Manager and his big plans.

I am a very assertive and demanding customer so I demanded nothing less. When things did not work in my way, I checked out to the Hotel Manager's shock. Even the staffs did not know I left until I sent them greeting cards from my house address. Some agreed with my move saying that I deserve a better hotel and some asked me to give the hotel another chance. The Hotel Manager kept silence, went ahead with his plans until he noticed that something was amiss without me in the hotel.

No comments: